Two-bladed propellers for early airplanes could easily be transported in normal open wagons, however, by the late 1930s, three-bladed propellers with adjustable-pitch attachments in the bosses had been developed. Therefore, the GWR issued diagram E4 and built five wagons in 1938 for the special purpose of carrying these awkward loads, described as 'wagons for three-bladed air screws with trestles and aperture in the floor'. Perhaps unsurprisingly, a further 170 were built during the early years of the Second World War. They received the telegraphic codename 'AERO' after 1942. The wagons were basically standard O32 open wagon underframes with a complete overall deck apart from an aperture to take
the two crates that could be carried. The end of the war and the subsequent development of commercial jet engines reduced the manufacture of airplane propellers and hence the need for these wagons; most had been converted to their original design as simple open wagons by the early 1950s.
Click here to download a PDF version of the instructions for this kit.
Requires Peco NR-121 10ft WB Chassis (steel type solebars) to complete (not included)
Product Code : MLS021 Price : £4.50